Today, it's the International Men Day ! Yes, IMD. You can visit the official website here.
Objectives of International Men's Day include a focus on men's and boy's health, improving gender relations, promoting gender equality, and highlighting positive male role models. It is an occasion for men to celebrate their achievements and contributions, in particular their contributions to community, family, marriage, and child care while highlighting the discrimination against them.
This year theme is Positive Male Role Models. Many boys today do not know what it means to be a man because they don’t have a man in their lives. Many children will go to bed tonight without saying goodnight to their father because he just isn’t there. Even in homes where the father is present research shows that the average father spends less than 10 minutes a day one-on-one with his child.
How can you make a positive difference for these children?
- If you are a positive male role model you can Celebrate International Mens Day and involve yourself in the lives of children and young people in your community who can benefit from your influence.
- If you are a mother you can encourage the involvement of positive male role models in the life of your child.
- If you are a non-custodial dad you can make the effort to visit with your child more often and be intentional about teaching them important life lessons.
- If you are an educator you can encourage fathers to take on a more active role in the classroom.
- If you are working in government you can encourage the celebration of International Mens Day and the development of positive male role models in your country and in your community.
- If you are a Non Profit Organisation working in the community you can celebrate International Mens Day and promote positive male role models.
- If you are a faith-based institution you can provide programs that bring fathers together with their children and also encourage male role models to be involved with children in their sphere of influence.
- If you are a leader in your business encourage your employees to be involved in community efforts such as mentoring groups in the country in which you live i.e. , Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Big Brothers-Big Sisters, youth groups, Boys Club or sports clubs.
Every child needs someone who is absolutely committed to their success in life.
It is up to us to make
sure they have that person.
Share this post